martes, 25 de enero de 2011

Craig: I'll prove Fergie wrong - The Sun

CRAIG CATHCART didn't even look back when he drove out of Manchester United's Carrington training ground for the final time last August.

And he hasn't since becoming a regular in Blackpool's back four.

His progress has been such that earlier this month the Belfast-born centre-half won the George Best Breakthrough award for his form with Ian Holloway's side.

Tonight, though, Cathcart faces the greatest challenge of his burgeoning career when Blackpool take on United in the biggest game at Bloomfield Road for 40 years.

Yet there are no regrets. None at all.

Cathcart, who spent five years at Old Trafford after schoolboy training at the club's Belfast academy, said: "In the old days, they always claimed that if you left United the only way was down.

"Some people even looked on it as the end of the world. The end of the dream, especially for a young guy like me.

"But loads of players leave United and go on to have great careers.

"I'm not an emotional or sentimental person anyway. I didn't feel hurt in the slightest.

"Even though United had Vidic, Ferdinand, O'Shea and my old Northern Ireland mate Jonny Evans, I still thought there might be a chance. But when they signed Chris Smalling from Fulham, I realised the writing was on the wall.

"So when Ian Holloway said he was giving me the opportunity to play first-team football in the Premier League, I didn't think twice.

"I was with United reserves at the time on a pre-season trip to Cornwall and went straight back to Carrington to pick up my gear.

"I said my goodbyes, then drove out of the gates. I didn't even look over my shoulder.

"When a club decides to let you go, there's no point in crying about it. Alex Ferguson said it would be a good opportunity for me to play games and even put a buy-back clause in the contract.

"OK, you never say never but, quite honestly, I can't see it happening.

"Yes, there will be a few nerves for me when I see Rooney, Berbatov and the rest of the lads run out.

"But, as I said, not too much emotion. Well, apart from trying to prove they should never have let me go."

United arrive at Bloomfield Road still unbeaten and with Ryan Giggs set to sign a new 12-month contract that will take him into his 39th year. Cathcart, 22 next week, is not surprised.

He said: "The headlines may be all about Rooney and Berbatov but it's Giggs and Paul Scholes who are the heartbeat of the club.

"Even in training they were always the best, never taking it easy, never resting on their laurels.

"Scholes was always the one who caused me the most problems in training. No half-measures, no pulling out of tackles, just as he is in games.

"All that can't help but rub off on you."

Advertisement

Though Cathcart was at Old Trafford for five years, skippered the youth team and played countless matches for the reserves, he never wore a first-team shirt. He said: "I had some bad luck - every time I was about to make my debut I got injured. Or I was on loan at Plymouth and Watford when they had injuries.

"I was on the bench and played a few pre-season games but never a full one. It was not meant to be. Fate."

So, maybe, it will be fate that decrees Blackpool finally end United's unbeaten league season despite their fine start being diluted by a recent run of four defeats in five games.

He said: "Yes, we have surprised a few sides this season but, even now, the only thing we are thinking about is avoiding relegation.

"Yes, everyone is talking about United setting records.

"But the greatest bit of history will be us staying up, not United going through the whole season unbeaten."

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario