"I think it's as certain as it can be that Mr Jackson didn't know that he was going to expose himself to this sort of danger."
He added: "I didn't know about these sweets, and if it's the equivalent to Red Bull, you can't imagine people drinking dozens and dozens of cans of Red Bull."
The British-made mints are sold alongside other sweets such as Polos and Extra Strong Mints, but shocked producers last night insisted they had taken a series of measures to warn consumers about the high caffeine content.
Mr Jackson's body was discovered by his estranged partner and stepdaughter at his flat in Walsall Road, Darlaston on May 2.
A post-mortem examination showed he had a massive 155mg of caffeine per litre of blood in his system, yet just 10mg would have been considered an overdose, according to pathologist Dr Dragana Cvijan.
She told the inquest: "The most important compound found in the post-mortem was caffeine. I must say this is the first time in my experience that I've come across a caffeine overdose."
She gave the medical cause of death as caffeine toxicity but said Mr Jackson, a heavy drinker, also had cirrhosis of the liver which had played a part in the tragedy, leaving him unable to absorb the stimulant properly.
Stepdaughter Rebecca Court, of Tipton, said Mr Jackson had bought the mints from a local shop.
Miss Court, 23, said: "On the box they said one tablet equals one can of energy drinks. A kid could go in and buy them and the same thing could happen to him."
She added: "I think there should be something done about them. They are very, very dangerous.
"They are classed in the same place as Polos and Extra Strong Mints. I'm scared to drink coffee now and I don't get anything with caffeine in it."
Her sister Amanda, 27, said: "My daughter is eight. If she was going to go in and buy them she wouldn't think they were going to harm her."
The pair claimed their stepfather did not drink coffee or tea and only occasionally consumed Coca Cola, other key sources of caffeine.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, Mr Balmain said: "I'm also going to write to the Department of Health because coroners have got powers under recent legislation to draw the attention of appropriate authorities to things that might be a danger to other people."
Last night the directors of the Birkenhead company behind the mints, Hero Energy Ltd, Paul Hayes and Steve Hones, said they were "shocked and deeply concerned" at the tragic death.
They said: "Firstly, all of our thoughts and condolences go to Mr Jackson's family and friends.
"Here at HERO, we fully understand the associated risk and dangerous (sic) of caffeine and its consumption. We are extremely vocal about these risks and highlight them at every available opportunity."
Warnings about the mints are clearly marked on packaging, sales website, and shelf display packs, including the advice not to consumer more than five in 24 hours, they stressed.
The statement added: "The levels you have mentioned would have meant Mr Jackson must have consumed over 300 of our mints, which is staggering. After 5 mints, over a 24 hour period, most people would find it difficult to consume anymore.
"We are still a relatively young business (formed in 2011) and this is the first major incident we have heard of in relation to our product.
"All this being said, we are very saddened by the news and will immediately look into how we can further make our consumers aware of the risks of caffeinated products."