By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 4:19 PM on 30th November 2010

Wagner Carrilho has insisted his exit from the X Factor has nothing to do with his talent – and everything to do with his mentor.

The 54-year-old Brazilian was voted out by the judges after a sing-off with Mary Byrne on Sunday.

But although they had repeatedly criticised his novelty act performances, Wagner said the problem really lay with Louis Walsh.

Artistic differences: Wagner blames Louis Walsh for his exit from the show

Artistic differences: Wagner blames Louis Walsh for his exit from the show

'The trouble was Louis gave me fast songs in English so I had tremendous difficulty learning the lyrics.

'My main language is Portuguese so because of that and the schedule of the show I didn't have enough time to rehearse and practise.

'English isn't my first language, I struggled.'

Wagner performed Creep by Radiohead on Saturday night's show, but despite winning some praise, he was voted off the show the next day.

And although he had stayed in the competition beyond other arguably more talented contestants such as Aiden Grimshaw, he said: 'The songs that can really show my voice like La Fortuna and The Wonder Of You and Creep, I sang them well because I can connect with the emotion. Songs like She Bangs, I can't feel that.'

Creep: Wagner enjoyed his stab at Radiohead but not his Elvis task

Creep: Wagner enjoyed his stab at Radiohead but not his Elvis task

The full interview with Wagner is in the new issue of X magazine, on sale now

The full interview with Wagner is in the new issue of X magazine, on sale now

When asked to name the worst song Walsh gave him, Wagner chose the Elvis classic Viva Las Vegas.

'It was fast and meaningless. I didn't want to sing some of the lyrics either: "I am the devil with love to spare".

'I don't like the devil. I don't like evil. I don't like what the devil stands for.'

His lowest moments were singing Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell 'out of time' and when he 'got Viva Las Vegas in the wrong key', he added.

'There were some bad times.'

Walsh said: 'Wagner was great to work with and I hope he now makes a lot of money.'

• Wagner was speaking to X Magazine, out now.

Here's what readers have had to say so far. Why not add your thoughts below, or debate this issue live on our message boards.

The comments below have not been moderated.

ALL WHO HATE WAGNER ARE DEEP DOWN WICKED AND EVIL PEOPLE! NO MATTER HOW MUCH THESE PEOPLE TELL THEMSELVES THEY ARE DECENT, REALLY THEY KNOW HOW BAD THEY ARE.

Actually, I suspect the bad songs kept him in longer- it was the fact he was so awful that got as many people voting for him in their bid to get one up on Simon Cowell. If he'd been just another average contestant, no novelty factor, he'd likely have left earlier, as whilst he was surprisingly in tune with the likes of Creep, he isn't better than the others also in the competition.
He'll likely earn a bit anyway. I'm still betting on a cheesy Christmas single! He's perfect for the likes of those.

He genuinely sung his final song really well. He has a point folks.

I can't think of any reason whatsoever why Louis would deliberately sabotage one of his own acts. Wagner couldn't sing. He was extremely lucky to get as far as he did.
---------

One word SIMON, some more, production around Sy-co, Sony, America so on and so forth. I hate the naivity of people, thinking sportmen, artist, politicians, business men and contestants cannot be sabotaged with people they are working with, it happens and it happnens very well.
- Lee, London England, 30/11/2010 17:11

So Louis was deliberately sabotaging Wagner? To what end then? If he was, it hasn't achieved anything so I don't understand your point.

Wait..Wagner didn't think he was ACTUALLY going to win, did he?

hahahahaha

Wagner may have been entertaining but he could not sing..
His exit was nothing to do with song choice.
Come on Wagner dont be a poor loser!
Had it not been for the publics attempt to upstage the show you would have been voted out weeks ago....

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.