domingo, 24 de abril de 2011

Woman catches baby in fall from balcony - Independent Online

Copy of Toddler Balcony Fall~1

AP

British tourist Helen Beard, of Worksop, England, attends a news conference where she is recognized for saving the life of a 1 year old child that fell from a four story hotel balcony in Orlando, Fla., Friday, April 22, 2011. On April 21, Beard, ran from the swimming pool of the hotel after she noticed a child hanging from a balcony and arrived in time to catch the little girl as she fell four floors. (AP Photo/John Raoux)

A British holidaymaker has been hailed "an angel from heaven" after catching a baby who fell from the third floor of a hotel.

Helen Beard leapt into action after spotting the 16-month-old girl dangling through the railings of a 40-foot balcony.

While other guests at the hotel in Orlando, Florida, desperately shouted to alert little Jah-Nea Myles's family, the 44-year-old calmly positioned herself below the girl and bravely broke the fall.

And yesterday city officials gave the senior NHS manager from Worksop, Nottinghamshire, an award for her heroics.

Modest Miss Beard, who is on a 15-day break in the resort with her partner Philip Charlesworth and their nine-year-old son Ben, said: "I felt fortunate to be there and it was really all instinct.

"I was lounging by the pool with Ben and I heard someone scream and I turned to see the little girl dangling from the balcony.

"My instinct told me to run and catch the child and before I knew it I was running across to under the balcony.

"It felt like hours before she fell and then she bounced off another balcony on the way down.

"My son was pretty upset and so ironically, because we were staying on the top floor too, we had to move."

Miss Beard has admitted feeling "slightly embarrassed" about the attention she is receiving, however.

"To be honest I am slightly overwhelmed," she said. "I am here to enjoy my holiday and I am glad to have been able to help.

"Everyone was very emotional after I caught the toddler.

"The little girl didn't cry before or after the fall and I was just relieved to catch her."

Jah-Nea's grateful mother, 20-year-old Helena, said her daughter had escaped without "a scratch on her body".

"I'm thanking the Lord above right now for saving my child's life," she added. "I'm also thanking that lady because she was an angel sent from heaven."

The drama happened on Wednesday at the Econo Lodge Inn and Suites, minutes away from attractions including Walt Disney World.

Miss Myles, who lives around 25 miles from Orlando in the small city of Longwood, was staying with friends and left the girl in their care at around 11pm while she popped into an adjoining room.

While she was gone, Jah-Nea apparently slipped out of the balcony door and squeezed through safety railings outside.

Kristell Friesen, who was staying at the hotel, said: "We heard everybody screaming and just thought they were having a good time at the pool, when they all started running.

"This woman was right under the balcony, held out her arms and caught her. Everyone was just happy. The girl's mom came racing out of the hotel and was just so grateful."

Another guest said: "This woman was just so calm and in the perfect spot. She caught her but the baby seemed to bounce out of her arms and slipped to the floor.

"She picked her up and held her until her mother came running over."

Jah-Nea was taken to nearby Arnold Palmer Hospital for a check-up but released a few hours later.

The first Miss Beard's parents heard of their daughter's life-saving exploits was when she sent them an email on Thursday morning, saying: "A little girl aged 2 [sic] fell from her balcony and I caught her."

Her mother, Ann, 69, from Llandudno in north Wales, said: "We're so proud. Her reactions must have been so quick.

"If anything had gone wrong it just doesn't bear thinking about. It was in the late evening and she just happened to be in the right place."

And her father, retired businessman Michael, 73, added: "If she had missed the baby they would have been home on the next flight."

Jane Moxon, who lives next door to Miss Beard', said: "She's very modest and will probably be saying, 'Oh, anyone would have done it'.

"They haven't been away for a while and before they went Helen was saying how much she was looking forward to a nice, relaxing break - and now this has happened."

The local Department of Children and Families spoke to Jah-Nea's parents but is understood not to be taking any further action.

Orange County Sheriff's department described the girl's survival as a "miracle". Sheriff Jerry Demings presented Miss Beard with the Medal of Merit, an "award of recognition" to mark her "quick thinking and heroic actions".

"In our minds this child clearly has a guardian angel and the guardian angel was there," a spokesman said. - Daily Mail

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario