sábado, 12 de noviembre de 2011

Giovanni Trapattoni hails Ireland side but warns against complacency - The Guardian

Giovanni Trapattoni admitted that the Republic of Ireland's 4-0 away win over Estonia in the first leg of the Euro 2012 play-off was beyond his wildest dreams but he continued to preach caution ahead of Tuesday's return.

"The cat is in the sack but the sack is not closed," the manager said.

"There is still another 90 minutes. The cat is still dangerous, it's a wild cat. We have to be serious. The Irish people will wait for a show in Dublin but we have to have the same respect for Estonia.

"In this moment we think we have nearly qualified but don't jump the gun. We must still show the same mentality in the second leg. All Irish people can think it will be easy in Dublin but it's another 90 minutes. We must repeat this performance."

It was put to Trapattoni that he could not have envisaged putting himself in such a powerful position before the tie in the Estonian capital.

"No, I could not," he said. "I was optimistic but I was worried because I have played football. I have seen many times how the little things can change results. But, of course, after we scored the first goal and we had the advantage, I thought 'It's possible to qualify.' We are very, very near."

The Italian could be delighted with many of his players but at the front of the queue for plaudits was the centre-forward Jon Walters, who had been at the heart of the only pre-match selection teaser. Trapattoni had said it had been a straight choice between Walters and Simon Cox. Walters scored the second goal and was a relentless threat to a shell-shocked Estonia defence.

"I am not God," Trapattoni said, "and maybe I don't speak English very well or Italian very well. But I have been in football for many years and I understand this. I thought that Walters showed his qualities. We got it right."

It was a night when everything that could have gone wrong for Estonia did so, with the dismissal of the centre-halves Andrei Stepanov and Raio Piiroja sparking the crowd's anger. The manager, Tarmo Ruutli, said he could have no complaints about Stepanov's sending-off but he suggested that Piiroja's second yellow card for handball was harsh.

"The second red was under question," he said. "There was no intention for him to handle and the referee was just eager to give the decision. It feels as though the tie is almost over."

Trapattoni, who felt that the referee had acted properly, said that outside his achievements as a player and manager in Italy, this had been one of his finest results.

"Two years ago," he said, "we were not 100 per cent ready but now we have confidence. I am pleased that the players have self-belief, respect and that they answer my calls. We have now to focus on what cones next. That is my law. I always look forward."

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario