• Mary Cameron, 78, was asked why her son was pushing gay marriage laws
  • The former magistrate said:  'I know, David just won't be told'
  • PM sees legislation as central to his modernisation drive despite grassroots criticism

By Daily Mail Reporter

|


Even David Cameron's mother is not convinced about the merits of his gay marriage plans.

Mary Cameron, 78, was asked at a lunch why her son was pressing head with the legislation which had alienated many grassroots Tories and said: 'I know, David just won't be told'.

The policy was also heavily criticised by local activists and some Tory MPs, but Mr Cameron sees it as central to his modernisation drive.

Right and wrong: Mr Cameron with his mother Mary

Right and wrong: Mr Cameron with his wife Samantha mother Mary who, when asked why her son was pressing ahead with gay marriage plans, said: 'I know, David just won't be told'

He told MPs: 'I don't support gay marriage in spite of being a Conservative. I support gay marriage because I am a Conservative.'

Mrs Cameron, 78, is a retired magistrate who once said her work had helped her to teach her son about right and wrong.

She said: 'I used to come home with stories sometimes, to almost warn the children about the perils of doing the wrong things. I think he learned probably a lot from that.'

A biography of the Prime Minister described the family as 'old fashioned' and said his stockbroker father Ian was a churchwarden and his mother helped arrange the flowers.

Conservative: Despite opposition from grassroots Tories, The Prime Minister has said: 'I dont support gay marriage in spite of being a Conservative. I support gay marriage because I am a Conservative

Conservative: Despite opposition from grassroots Tories, The Prime Minister has said: 'I dont support gay marriage in spite of being a Conservative. I support gay marriage because I am a Conservative

Mrs Cameron, who was born Mary Mount, previously said that Mr Cameron was never short of an opinion, even when he was only five.

In an interview during the 2010 election campaign she said that friends would beg for him to 'shut up'. She added: 'He always had something to say'.

Mr Cameron said of her: 'My mother was a mum at home as it were, but she was a magistrate in the local courts in Newbury, and I always admired her sort of sense of public service and responsibility and putting something back. She is a wonderful mum.'

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

Better to put Mrs Cameron in No. 10 Downing Street than the son.

Ex magistrate showing her true colours.

I agree mother - Petulent Child :)

Oh, if only she had taught him to "shut up" it would have had a lifetime benefit for the UK

AAll this news about gay marriage which affects what, less than 1% of the population?? If u want to modernise society Mr Cameron look at the thousands of families who's marriages breakdown and fathers who wanna be fathers for their kids have to go through the nightmare legal system. Fathers / motchers who abuse or can't be bothered I have no time for you but genuine parents who wanna be parents have such a battle with some vindictive ex's who just get everything. Unfortunately this does normally favour the mother.

He's trying to lose the next election so that he doesn't have to give us a referendum on Europe!

Exactly! He does'nt lisern to the people he is hired to lisern to either.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.