sábado, 23 de abril de 2011

'Win the next five and Arsenal will be champs' - TODAYonline

LONDON - Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger believes they will win the Barclays Premier League title if they win their last five games, according to Sky Sports.

After draws against Liverpool and Tottenham, the Gunners have slipped down to third place, six points behind leaders Manchester United and just behind Chelsea on goal difference.

But speaking to the media here yesterday, Wenger insisted: "I have no doubt we can win our five games ... We have played 16 games without losing.

"If we win our five games, we'll win the championship. I'm convinced.

"But the target is to win the next one for now. This championship will go to the most solid team mentally, not necessarily to anybody else."

The Gunners will enter the Reebok Stadium to face Bolton on tomorrow knowing what United and Chelsea have done in their games today

Wenger took a swipe at Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech, who claimed Arsenal had blown their title chances in recent weeks.

"I'm quite open to everything, but mathematically - and I was not too bad in maths - it's difficult to understand the logic of his statement," said the Frenchman.

"Mathematically, I can't see a difference given they have the same number of points. We have to win all our games, add a winning mentality to the drawing mentality."

Arsenal's chance of a first trophy since 2005 evaporated in an instant in February's League Cup Final when an 89th-minute defensive mix-up between defender Laurent Koscielny and goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny gifted Birmingham City a 2-1 win.

Indeed, the defence has been highlighted by critics as Arsenal's achilles heel and Wenger said: "It's a vicious circle. You just have to deal with the critics at this time and dominate your nerves." Agencies

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario