lunes, 24 de enero de 2011

Apple Calls Woman to Award $10000 Gift Card, She Hangs Up by Nicholas Jackson - The Atlantic (blog)

One of the several applications that Gail Davis' daughters downloaded from Apple's new Mac App Store was the 10 billionth App sold, earning them a $10,000 iTunes gift card in a heavily-promoted sweepstakes that the company has been running. When a representative from Apple called Davis to relay the good news, the mother of two from Orpington, Kent, UK, hung up the phone. "I thought it was a prank call," she told Cult of Mac. "I said, 'Thank you very much, I'm not interest' and I hung up."

"The girls came down and said it wasn't a prank," Davis explains. "I had a moment of panic."

Davis tried to ring Apple back, but got an clueless operator on the company's helpdesk, who was ultimately unable to help.

"The more I thought about it, the more I realized it was a genuine call," she says. "The girls were getting quite tense. They never would have forgiven me. They would have held it against me for all eternity."

Luckily, an Apple executive rang back a couple of hours later.

"I was hugely relieved," says Davis. "I was getting really worried."

The first call was from Eddy Cue, Apple's VP of iTunes. The second call was from one of Cue's colleagues.

"If it had been Steve Jobs I definitely would have thought it was a wind up," said Davis.

What are they going to do with the windfall? Download more apps, of course.

Read the full story at Cult of Mac.

More at The Atlantic




Join the Discussion

After you comment, click Post. If you're not already logged in you will be asked to log in or register. Comments powered by Disqus

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario