viernes, 20 de mayo de 2011

Button struggling to get a grip in Barcelona - AFP

BARCELONA — Jenson Button admitted that he was having trouble with the rear-end balance of his car during Friday's practice sessions for Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix.

The 30-year-old McLaren driver was fourth quickest on the opening day at the Circuit de Catalunya - 0.7 seconds adrift of pacesetter Australian Mark Webber of Red Bull.

Button blamed his car's current set-up, and admitted that he currently had no chance of challenging Webber, or matching the pace of his McLaren team-mate and fellow Briton Lewis Hamilton, who was second fastest.

"I'm not particularly happy with the balance of the car at the moment," said Button, "I'm really struggling with the rear end - it's pretty unpredictable.

"It's not something that I like, and it's something that I've got to work on and improve for tomorrow.

"If I look at what Lewis is doing, I just don't have the balance and I'm a little way off at the moment. There's a bit more pace in the car, we've just got to unleash it and get a balance that I like."

Despite Friday's results indicating that McLaren's latest updates had helped close the gap to the high-flying Red Bulls, Button suggested that there was more to come from the Milton Keynes based team.

He said: "We all hope, but I can't see anything yet - they're never that quick on a Friday.

"I was quickest on Friday at the last race, so it's actually that they've got quicker.

"Tomorrow they'll show their true pace and I'm guessing they're going to have half a second on everyone."

Despite finishing within 0.04 seconds of Webber's time, Hamilton, champion in 2008, also expects Red Bull to have more performance up their sleeve.

He said: "I think we are just as competitive as we have been in the past, but that doesn't mean that we are actually close to them.

"We'll wait and see tomorrow. It depends on what their engine mode is on and all those kind of things. We don't know. We might have a little bit in the bag, they might have a little bit in the bag. We wait and see."

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario