A MOTHER has told of her heartache after her husband and children were murdered in a deliberate fire at their home.

Speaking for the first time since the tragedy, Angela Sharkey described her devastation at learning that her family had died in the blaze at the property in Helensburgh.

Mrs Sharkey's son Thomas, 21, and eight-year-old daughter Bridget were killed when fire ripped through their flat on July 24. Her husband Thomas Sr, 55, died in hospital six days later.

The 46-year-old, who was seriously injured in the fire and has now been allowed home from hospital, said yesterday: "The three things I loved most about my life are dead."

She also described the moment when her sister Margaret told her that her husband and children were dead.

Mrs Sharkey said: "She actually told me four times that Thomas, Bridget and Tommy were all dead and each time I was like 'don't be daft, don't be stupid'. I didn't believe her. I thought she had lost the plot."

She added that she had no idea who was responsible for starting the fire but appealed for anyone with information to speak to the police.