- Former BBC DG set to start as New York Times chief executive next month
- Insisted it's 'totally reasonable for paper to be free to examine everything'
- Said Helen Boaden told him he shouldn't be concerned by Newsnight probe
- Jimmy Savile sexual abuse scandal has been gaining momentum for weeks
By Mark Duell and Graham Smith
|
Former BBC director Mark Thompson has insisted the New York Times public editor is 'completely correct' to question whether he is fit to be her new boss following the Jimmy Savile scandal.
Mr Thompson, who will start as the newspaper's chief executive next month, spoke out after Margaret Sullivan questioned his integrity and ability in the wake of outrage against the Corporation.
He told the Guardian it was 'totally reasonable for institutions like the New York Times and the BBC to be free to examine everything, including subjects of corporate interest in the institution itself'.
New job: Former BBC director Mark Thompson (left) has been under fire over the Jimmy Savile (right) scandal
Mr Thompson, who is set to start his new job on November 12, revealed it was BBC head of news Helen Boaden who told him he should not be concerned by Newsnight's investigation into Savile
But the 55-year-old said he first heard about the probe from BBC journalist Caroline Hawley, whom he said told him: 'You must be really concerned about Newsnight's investigation into Jimmy Savile'.
Mr Thompson told the Guardian he was unaware if the allegations were sexual at the time, but was concerned by the limited details he received from the reporter and promptly tried to find out more.
However, he said that after speaking to Miss Boaden, he didn't need to take any further action as he believed her - and, regardless, 'nobody said there was an allegation of sex abuse on BBC premises'.

Worries: Mr Thompson said he first heard about the probe from BBC journalist Caroline Hawley (pictured), whom he said told him: 'You must be really concerned about Newsnight's investigation into Jimmy Savile'
Mr Thompson said that he would have done something if those allegations had been raised. Then he missed press cuttings in January and February that referred to the Newsnight probe being axed.
'His integrity and decision-making are bound to affect The New York Times and its journalism - profoundly'
Margaret Sullivan,
New York Times public editor
His comments came after Ms Sullivan questioned the man who was BBC director general when the report that would have exposed Savile as a predator who targeted young, vulnerable girls, was axed.
In a blog post on Tuesday, the public editor, who works on behalf of readers and writes about the newspaper itself, said: 'How likely is it that (Thompson) knew nothing?
'His integrity and decision-making are bound to affect The New York Times and its journalism - profoundly. It's worth considering now whether he is the right person for the job, given this turn of events.'

Discussions: Mr Thompson said it was BBC head of news Helen Boaden (pictured) who told him he should not be concerned by Newsnight's investigation into Savile
Scandal has engulfed the BBC after an ITV documentary accused Savile of being a paedophile who had abused hundreds of young victims in hospitals, schools and even on the corporation's premises.
But even as the documentary went out, it emerged that Newsnight had carried out its own investigation - including an interview with the same victim - nearly a year before.
A team spent six weeks probing allegations that the presenter abused pupils at a school in Surrey, speaking to at least four women who claimed they had been assaulted or knew about events.
The report was shelved at the last minute at the request of the programme's editor Peter Rippon. It was not until this week that the BBC aired its own investigation into the scandal, on Panorama.

No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario