jueves, 31 de octubre de 2013

Hit-And-Run Revenge Driver Jailed For 20 Years - Sky News

A motorist caught on CCTV ploughing into a group of men as they crossed the street - leaving one of them brain-damaged - has been jailed for 20 years.

Aqab Hussain was convicted of four counts of attempted murder by a jury at Manchester Crown Court at an earlier hearing.

CCTV footage captured the 21-year-old mowing down the men after "horseplay" over a baseball cap led to a fight outside a club in Manchester city centre.

One was catapulted over the roof, another knocked to the side and a third carried down the street before Hussain swerved to dislodge him from the bonnet of his car.

One of his targets managed to jump out of the way of his vehicle.

Rachael Pavion, prosecuting, said the car was used as a "lethal weapon" as Hussain "sought revenge by driving at speed deliberately at the four men with a clear intention to kill".

The attack in John Dalton Street in the early hours of August 21 last year left one of his victims with "life changing" injuries.

Michael Ward, who was carried several metres down the street on the bonnet of Hussain's car, spent many weeks in a coma after suffering injuries to his brain.

The court heard the injuries were so severe Mr Ward could not remember he had three children, and that he would never be able to look after himself.

His wife, Maryrose, was in court for the sentencing, and said of the prison term afterwards: "In a way I am disappointed, but in one way I am happy, because it would have been worse if they never caught the person who ran my husband over.

"It ruined my husband's life, and my life, and my kids ... he can't remember my kids ... so happy in a way and then feel upset in one way."

She added: "He can't talk, he can't walk. He has no concentration, he has no memory of years ago, the kids. We've been married seven years, no memory. He can't wash himself, he can't feed himself ... I will care for him for the rest of my life."

Hussain, who declined to give evidence during the trial, showed "complete disregard" for his actions and fled the country three days after the attack.

Police arrested him at Manchester Airport seven weeks later on his return to the UK.

Witness accounts, CCTV footage and forensic evidence helped prove that he was behind the wheel of the car.

Hussain, from Manchester, was also disqualified from driving for 15 years.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario en la entrada