domingo, 27 de noviembre de 2011

ATP World Tour Finals: Roger Federer faces Jo-Wilfried Tsonga - BBC Sport

Highlights - Federer reaches 100th career final

Roger Federer will contest the 100th final of a glittering career when he plays Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France at the ATP World Tour Finals on Sunday.

The 30-year-old Swiss is aiming to defend the title he lifted in 2010, win his 70th tournament and secure a record sixth season-end crown.

"It's a special occasion for me playing my 100th final," said Federer.

Analysis

Tsonga's amazing comeback win at Wimbledon, from two sets down in the quarter finals, may be relatively fresh in the memory but they've actually played four times since then. And crucially Federer has won the last three including on the past two Sundays, in the Paris final a fortnight ago and then in the opening match of this event. How unusual for two men to meet on the first day and the last! It could only happen here at the World Tour Finals

But Tsonga, 26, warned: "Roger is the best player at the moment but I can do it. I expect to win."

Federer beat fifth seed David Ferrer in Saturday's opening semi-final before Tsonga overcame seventh seed Tomas Berdych in the late match.

"At the start of my career, I didn't think I was going to reach 100 finals," stated Federer. "One thing I can tell you is I won't retire after my 100th final.

"I knew going into [the semi-final] that I could reach my 100th final and win my 70th title on Sunday. I'm so fortunate to have had a great career. I don't know how I'm still walking.

"I'm lucky to be fit and healthy, and to play my 100th final here in London means a lot to me."

A 17,500 crowd is expected for the 11th meeting between Federer and Tsonga, the Swiss leading their head-to-head record 7-3.

The most recent encounter came in the opening match of the group stage last Sunday, a match Federer won 6-2 2-6 6-4.

Federer v Tsonga

They also met in the final of the tournament preceding the Tour Finals - the Paris Masters on 13 November - with Federer taking it 6-1 7-6 (7-3).

But their most memorable encounter was this year's quarter-final at Wimbledon, when Tsonga came from two sets down to win a five-set epic on Centre Court.

"Winning this would be better because there's a title at stake," Tsonga commented. "This tournament is the eight top players in the world.

"You see the names on the trophy - they are all big champions. If I can reach them, it's going to be amazing for me."

Federer is only the third player to reach the season-end championship final seven or more times, while for Tsonga it is a first.

If I have to break my two ankles to win, I will do it. It's the last match [of the season] so I will give it everything. I know right after it's the party, so it's good

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

"It's always exciting to play Roger but this is my first final here so it's going to be really special," said the Frenchman, who entered the tournament ranked sixth in the world.

"It's going to be an amazing atmosphere on court and I like that. I'm sure I will respect Roger a lot and play my best tennis. I will give everything.

"If I have to break my two ankles to win, I will do it. It's the last match [of the season] so I will give it everything. I know right after it's the party, so it's good."

Federer added: "It will be quite funny to play Tsonga in the final of Paris, the first day here and then on Sunday again.

"He is very confident right now, he has played well indoors. He is going to be extremely dangerous. He is going to believe in his chance."

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario