By Jessica Satherley

Last updated at 1:44 PM on 27th November 2011

Research into mobile, broadband, landline and TV providers has found that Virgin Media customers show declining levels of satisfaction in almost all categories.

Almost a quarter (22 per cent) said they are dissatisfied with the landline customer service from Sir Richard Branson's brainchild, watchdog Ofcom has said.

A further 16 per cent are not happy with the company's customer service for mobiles.

Media tycoon: Sir Richard Branson launching his Virgin Media in 2007, which offers all four services

Media tycoon: Sir Richard Branson launching his Virgin Media in 2007, which offers all four services

Ofcom questioned customers on their fixed broadband and landline providers, mobile phone providers and paid-for TV services in the survey, which was conducted to improve consumers' access to information.

It found that overall customer service satisfaction remained lower in the fixed broadband and landline markets, at 58 per cent and 61 per cent respectively, compared to paid for TV and mobile at 68 per cent and 69 per cent.

In regard to landline customer services, Sky was rated highest for satisfaction at 74 per cent.

BT was second with 63 per cent, TalkTalk had 59 per cent and Virgin Media had just 53 per cent.

A total of 25 per cent said they were neutral.

Sky's broadband customer services did not come out so high, however, with just 64 per cent of its customers saying they were satisfied.

But the company still came out above its competitors in the market, with Orange coming in second at 59 per cent, BT and Virgin Media joint third at 57 per cent and TalkTalk/Tiscali last at 55 per cent.

Ofcom said that almost three-quarters of Orange, O2 and T-Mobile customers reported they were satisfied with their mobile phone customer service.

Vodafone, Virgin Mobile and Three trailed behind, with 66 per cent, 62 per cent and 60 per cent saying they were satisfied respectively.

Researchers also found that with regard to paid for TV customers, 70 per cent of those using Sky said they were satisfied, with 62 per cent of Virgin Media customers reporting the same.

The report came about after thousands of consumers were interviewed in September and asked to rate their customer service experience if they had contacted their provider in the previous three months.

It covers customer service satisfaction for those providers with a market share of four per cent or more.


Here's what other readers have said. Why not add your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards.

The comments below have not been moderated.

I used to be a Virgin Media customer in Warrington, had they're broadband all the time whilst I was there. Super-fast brilliant service, always on, no disconnections, was able to use VOIP over the internet. Now I've moved to Ludlow I couldn't stay with Virgin 'cos there is sadly no Virgin media round here (and probably never will be!). So I had to switch to Plus.Net. I am so disappointed to have to go back to using BT's old and decrepit copper wire technology, it's just not good enough for modern day Britain, BT is an absolute joke compared to Virgin who have spent years making sure they were ready for the future whilst BT just sat on their backside raking in customers who had no other choice through a rip off service. Now I can barely use VOIP without it cutting out, no chance with iPlayer, YouTube or even Spotify and constant disconnections every day. If Virgin ever did come into Ludlow I would certainly be first on their list to go back to them.

I used to be a Virgin Media customer and their service in general was the worst I've ever had from any provider. Billing problems all the time, Internet speed dropping for weeks and weeks due to various technical faults in the neighbourhood. When I tried to call customer service I was greeted by mostly rude and technically ignorant agents. I have Sky now and although advertised broadband speeds are not as high as Virgin, the oveall service is much better. Stay away from Virgin Media if you can.

Virgin have been fantastic to me. Every query I had has been sorted out immediately, the broadband has been faultless (within 2% of the advertised maximum speed at almost all times) and the one time there was a problem with the service, which left me without internet for 24 hours while cables were dug up and repaired, I was kept informed of progress accurately and received a credit on my bill to reflect the loss of service. I genuinely couldn't be happier . I don't know who on earth these people interviewed.

Took Virgin six weeks to get my connection working in the first place then it was problem after problem. I spent hours and hours on the phone repeatedly trying to get it working for almost a year. They change things at their end, like blocking ports my computer needs, deny they did it then blame my PC. Switched exclusively to Be and not had a problem since.

I have been a Virgin Media customer ever since their Broadband service came out and I have only ever called customer services twice and I had an Engineer out within 48 hours. Virgin Media are providing me a fantastic service, no problems and always good broadband speeds. (I normally dont comment but I found this story hard to believe)

As soon as BT get their fibre optic services in my area im switching away from Virgin... It's just been one problem after another. first the internet drops out daily, then they dont take the direct debit and expect me to pay additional charges.... then because the direct bebit didnt get taken for 2 months they cut my services. It was only when i called to leave virgin that i got put through to someone that sounded the least bit English and could actually help...

I had a call from a Virgin Media customer adviser recently, his Australian accent was so 'regional' I doubt even someone in Sydney would understand it. Get the UK call centres - staffed by Brits - back and watch the satisfaction ratings rise.

I've been a Virgin customer for years. No problems at all. How can 22% be dissatisfied with their landline? Perhaps virgin customers are a more technically aware (than Sky customers) and wish their landline was a bit more "advanced"... After all a landline is the most boring piece of "tech".

My experience with Virgin Media is that they do have a whole host of service charges hidden away in their small print only to become apparent once any trial period comes to an end. Switched to BT as soon as I could, at least they're upfront about their charges.

I can only assume this 'paper' won't accept my post saying how satisfied I am with Virgin, because It's not the message they want to push

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.