Anita Dobson and Brendan Cole (pic: PA)

Anita Dobson and Brendan Cole (pic: PA)

ANITA Dobson was kicked off Strictly Come Dancing last night – as she admitted she couldn't reach the "next level" required for the final stages of the show.

The former EastEnders' actress believes it is now time for the younger celebrities to shine.

She said: "I had it in my mind I would go this week or next week.

"I was conscious I had got as far as I could go. I didn't move to another level with the dancing like some of the others have done.

"Being 62 my body is not as supple as you hope it would be and your reactions are not as sharp as you would like.

"You are not marking it and for ballroom it is an unusual way of moving and for someone my age it takes my muscles longer to learn and do it. I would have got there in the end I have no doubt but only through a lot more training."

On Saturday's show she had danced a Cha Cha Cha with Brendan Cole as her normal professional partner Robin Windsor was out with a foot infection. Anita and Brendan were in the bottom two with Holly Valance & Artem Chigvintsev before being told they were out.

Anita added: "It was good to dance with Brendan for a week, his method was very different to Robin.

"Brendan is more like a kinda rugby coach trying to spur you on.

"But I am going to do the Strictly tour so I will get to dance with Robin then, so that will be great."

Asked who she thought would win the series next month, Anita added: "I think Harry Judd, my money has been on him from the very beginning.

"His dance at the weekend was like a professional and being a drummer he has got great timing.

"He is wonderful to watch."

* Strictly was celebrating again yesterday after beating X Factor in the ratings. On Saturday, Strictly peaked at 11.7m with an average of 10.6m whilst X Factor had a peak of 11.3m and an average of 10m.