miércoles, 30 de noviembre de 2011

Public sector strikes: what you think - The Guardian

What do people in the private sector think about the public-sector strikes on 30 November and how will they be affected?

Jack Mason, retired builder from Maldon, Essex

"I think it's a complete waste of time and shows deep ingratitude from public-sector workers who have very valuable pension pots, compared with people like me. They actually don't know how lucky they are. I think to be taking this action is very selfish because it will be putting so many people out, including young families who are struggling with poorly paid jobs and will have to take time off to look after their children.

"I rely on a private pension, which I took out many years ago, along with the state pension, but I've helped to bolster the pensions of all the public-sector workers."

Krystyna Brown, administrator from Felixstowe, Suffolk

"I think they've got a point but I think it is badly timed. I don't think they have the support of the general public and I don't think it is going to achieve very much. The disruption will not affect me much personally, because although my youngest child's school will be closed, she will be able to study from home and I don't need to take time off work to supervise her.

"I really sorry for people I know who have children at different schools. Many of the schools don't seem to know at this stage whether they are closing or not, which makes it hard for parents to make contingency plans and it must be a nightmare for heads."

Alana Johnston, 40, housing association worker from Edinburgh

Johnston isn't part of a union that will be striking. "I can see why they want to do it but I don't know how much it is going to achieve. The government has been quite strong-willed and the changes are part of a long-term plan – but the strike is just one day of action, so I can't see that it will make a difference. I've got two children and their school will be closed, but they are bit older so I won't need to take time off work."

Colin, small business owner from Wood Green, north London

Colin supports the strike action: "Someone has to make a stand. I've got a personal pension but [the government] will probably move the goalposts on that – that's what they do. A lot of people who are against that strike will probably gain from it."

Philip Harrison, 31, legal professional from London

"I don't have kids and I'm not planning to fly anywhere so I don't expect it to make too much of a difference to me personally. But I do appreciate it's going to put a lot of people to a lot of inconvenience. While I understand how public-sector workers feel and particularly low-paid workers who are going to have this additional burden of extra money to pay into their pensions, possibly going for a full-scale strike was going a bit too far at this stage.

"As far as public-sector pensions go, I think it's a good deal that's currently on the table and as I understand it, it will be a good deal that will be offered after the changes. I appreciate people's right to strike but I think given the wider context of the current economic situation and given the relatively small change overall, maybe strike action is too much."

Helen Robertshaw, 46, Tesco duty pharmacy manager from Poynton, Cheshire

Robertshaw empathises with the strikers, even though her family will be affected: "My husband is having to work from home as our daughter will be off school, but I'm generally supportive of it. People have signed up for the pension plans they have, and if they're suddenly changed or altered dramatically, their choice has been taken away from them. If they'd known that would happen at the outset, they could have made a rational decision to join a different scheme.

"I don't bear any grudge towards public-sector workers. The teachers I know, who are of my age who have been working for 20 or 25 years, have suddenly had the goalposts moved."

Alison Lines, 29, private healthcare sector sales manager from Brighton

"I don't think they're paid enough, but they do get good pensions – way better than mine. I'm not even paying into a company pension scheme at the moment because I can't afford it. I need the money because we're saving for a flat and I think it's more important to put any extra cash aside for a deposit and worry about my retirement later on. We're all struggling – I haven't had a pay rise for two years – so why can't the public sector take a little hit? They'll still be getting way better pensions than the rest of us."

David More, 40s, project manager from Brighton

"I totally agree with the strike. You simply cannot take benefits away from people. You can't employ them on a certain basis one day, and then turn around and suddenly change their terms and conditions. There's no point the private sector complaining either – if they are jealous of public-sector pensions they should get a job in the public sector. Of course, I'd like to have their pensions – I'm self-employed and I have to pay into my own pension. I'm crossing my fingers it's going to be enough when I retire."

Lisa Osborne, 37, "does something in HR", from Brighton

"I'm not related to George Osborne, but I wish I was – I might have a bit more cash then. Personally, I tend to think that they are right to strike if the government changes means they get less money at retirement, although I do worry that many of them will be unaffected by the changes and just want a day off. But the government is effectively their boss and sometimes management do things we disagree with and we just have to stomach it."

Matt Davis, late-thirties, web designer/animator from Brighton

"For me, this is as much about protesting against Cameron and Osborne's spending cuts as it is a single issue on pensions. I don't think he's really thinking about the long-term effect of these pension tweaks, he just wants to make a quick buck off civil servants. Someone called it a cash grab the other day and I think that nails it. "

Andy Firth, self-employed internet entrepreneur from Letchworth, Hertfordshire

Firth will have his two children at home because their primary school will be closed as a result of the strike.

"I firmly believe in the right to strike, but have to question the wisdom of this day of action. The turn-out in the ballot was low and I don't think most of the teachers want to take this action, particularly when they look around and see what's going on in the wider economy.

"While the rest of us are toiling like crazy just to stay afloat, it seems rather out of touch to be striking to maintain such luxurious pensions. It's tough out there for everyone, and those in the public sector can't be immune. I'm afraid that they will have to wake up and smell the roses."

Fred Carter, self-employed market trader at Walthamstow market, north-east London

"They're wasting their time – I don't know really what they are striking for. What are they going to achieve? They've got a job, they're working. I think the majority of people are getting sick of strikes and protests. I think it's just an excuse for a day off work. I don't have a pension – [I'll] just keep working."

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario