viernes, 31 de diciembre de 2010

Hodgson says sorry to Reds fans - The Press Association

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has apologised for offending fans with his comments made after Wednesday's defeat at home to Wolves.

The 63-year-old had to endure chants of "Dalglish" and "Hodgson for England" during the 1-0 loss. Hodgson said after the game he had never had the "famous Anfield support" in his six months in charge and that was interpreted as an attack on his critics in the crowd.

However, the Reds boss insisted that was not the case. "Things have been misinterpreted," he said. "I'm afraid people have taken one small comment where I was describing my situation."

Hodgson added: "I was responding to a question about how it felt to be jeered by fans, making it clear it hurts me and I was disappointed by it because no-one wants to feel they are unpopular.

"I understand it is up to me to take it on the chin but it's not been an easy ride for me. It's been an uphill struggle and I was not the first choice appointment with a lot of fans. But if I have offended them in any way I deeply regret that.

"All I can do is apologise and make it perfectly clear there was nothing offensive in my comments."

Hodgson claimed supporters were perfectly entitled to their views and accepted he and the team had to do more to improve their enjoyment.

"Fans always have the right to show their anger and disapproval - we've got fantastic fans but you have to give them something to be passionate about and we didn't do that on Wednesday," he said.

"I don't think they were happy with anyone and as manager you are first in the firing line.

"The Anfield support will always be there and what's more it's better in times of crisis."

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario