By Sarah Bull

Last updated at 11:34 AM on 27th June 2011

Gwyneth Paltrow and Jay-Z were among the celebrity audience members at Beyonc closed Glastonbury Festival last night.

Gwyneth, who is a close friend of the former Destiny's Child singer, and Beyonce's husband Jay-Z grinned widely as they sang along to some of her greatest hits.

However, while Gwyneth and Jay-Z were more than happy to cosy up in the pit to watch the performance, there was one person who was noticeably absent from their group - Gwyneth's husband Chris Martin.

Closing the show: Beyonc wowed the crowds at Glastonbury with her energetic performance last night

Closing the show: Beyonc wowed the crowds at Glastonbury with her energetic performance last night

Cosying up: Beyonce's friend Gwyneth Paltrow and husband Jay-Z watched her performance in the pit

Taking it all in: Beyonce said it was her husband's performance at the festival in 2008 which first inspired her to get involved

Taking it all in: Beyonce said it was her husband's performance at the festival in 2008 which first inspired her to get involved

Instead, the Coldplay singer, who was apparently the one who persuaded Beyonce to perform at the festival in the first place, watched from the side of the stage during the performance.

And it seems Chris has had more than a little hand in Beyonce's performance, as Beyonce revealed yesterday that he had approved her set list before the performance, adding: 'He's the master of this.'

Festival organiser Emily Eavis revealed earlier this month that Chris had been vital in persuading Beyonce to close the festival.

Gorgeous in gold: Beyonce wore a low-cut sequinned gold jacket as she took to the stage

She said: 'Chris is a bit wary of people knowing he's been so involved. I don't know why because it's actually cool. Chris is as loyal as they come – he'll do anything for Glastonbury.

HOW DID BEYONC DO? REVIEWS

Entertained? I almost needed respiratory treatment. A one-two of Crazy In Love and Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) sent the 75,000-strong crowd into a frenzy, as fireworks rocketed and bootiliscious dancing commenced - Rick Pearson, Evening Standard

It's a gobsmacking opening that leaves you wondering what she's going to do next. But more gobsmacking still is that the show doesn't sag afterwards - Alexis Petridis, The Guardian

A great, sassy frontwoman who knows how to lead a call and response, she ended the festival with a real party spirit - Neil McCormick, The Telegraph

Along with the likes of Plan B, Tinie Tempah and Jessie J, Beyonce proved that - in terms of Glasto moments on the big stages at least - this was the year of pop - Tim Chester, NME.com

'He's really an unlikely frontman, most people are a bit more all-consumed with their own thing.'

Beyonce also revealed she asked U2 for their advice on her set list.

She said: 'I'm the biggest fan of U2 and Coldplay. I actually have spoken to both of them about my set list.

'I was like, OK, you guys are a little bit more familiar with the festivals, and I needed to make sure they gave me their approval before I did the performance.'

After her performance, Beyonce said she was stunned by the response she received from the 175,000-strong crowd.

She said: 'This night was a dream. I felt like a rock star, and the crowd, they looked like rock stars, and I'm just so honoured, really. This is the highlight of my career.

'I was able to see my husband perform here a couple of years ago and it was one of the most exciting nights for me.

'I don't know if I would have been asked to come if he didn't do the performance.

'I'm so happy because, you know, I don't normally do festivals and 175,000 people and I was very nervous.

'Everyone gave me so much love and I will never, ever, ever forget this night.'

Friends: Chris Martin, who watched Beyonce's performance from the side of the stage, is said to have encouraged Beyonce to perform at Glastonbury

Friends: Chris Martin, who watched Beyonce's performance from the side of the stage, is said to have encouraged Beyonce to perform at Glastonbury

BEYONCE'S GLASTONBURY SET LIST

Crazy In Love

Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)

Naughty Boy/Baby Boy

Best Thing I Never Had

End Of Time

If I Were A Boy

Sweet Dreams

Why Don't You Love Me

The Beautiful Ones

Sex On Fire

1+1

Destiny's Child Medley

At Last

Run The World (Girls)

Halo

And Beyonce added it was Jay-Z's performance at Glastonbury in 2008 that first inspired her to take part in the festival.

She said: 'I was like jumping up and down and history was made that night. I was so happy to be there and witness it for myself.

'I remember saying one day I would love to do a festival similar and never, ever thought I would be able to headline Glastonbury.'

Beyonce's performance received rave reviews from critics, apart from the slightly strange inclusion of Bristol rapper Tricky, who joined her on stage to perform Baby Boy.

Despite rumours that Beyonce would be joined by her Destiny's Child former bandmates Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams, there was no sign of the singers.

However, Beyonce did shout out to the pair as she launched into a medley of Destiny's Child's most famous hits.

And it wasn't only UK fans who were treated to Beyonce's performance, as footage of her performing was also shown at the BET Awards in Los Angeles.

After her performance, George Michael took to her Twitter page to express his delight at the show.

He wrote: 'I love that woman. Great artist, writer,singer, person ...Something so generous about the fact that she covered songs that acknowledged Glastonbury's typical audience.

'Very few American artists ... would take the time or have the respect for a foreign audience to do that. She just gets better and better.'

Here's what readers have had to say so far. Why not add your thoughts below, or debate this issue live on our message boards.

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

elitist, corporate & celebrity narcissism. it's no longer the peoples festival but instead a 'credibility exercise' for faux hippies and pretend millionaires in designer wellies trudging through the mud back to their luxury winnibagos. Beyonce headlining at Glastonbury? It makes my stomach churn.

even though Beyonce is a world wide superstar; she comes across as very humble and really, really nice.

she absolutely smashed it! I loved the Destiny's Child section the most... took me back to 10 years ago when I was in primary school thinking I was an Independent Woman hahahahahaha! The dancing was INCREDIBLE- End Of Time especially!!!! When she did the ballads it was absolutely mesmerizing. I could go on about it for days! I bought her new album today and I love it.... I think people will be surprised that there are more ballads on this album but the emotion is 100% there. It feels like she's finally making the music she loves to make! I'm glad Glastonbury organisers are deciding to embrace diverse acts yet still keeping the essence of the festival.

I wish they had concerts like this in the USA.

Awesome!

Seen her on her last tour, loved how she had a smile on her face from first song to the last. Great performer, great voice. Sounds just as good live as she does on the record which is something you sadly cannot say for many singers today.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.