viernes, 30 de diciembre de 2011

Robin van Persie reveals Arsenal's 2-1 Champions League triumph over Barcelona ... - Goal.com

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has revealed his side's 2-1 win at home to Barcelona in the last-16 of the Champions League as his highlight of 2011.

The Gunners came back from a goal down in the last 12 minutes to conquer the club who would go on to win the competition, after seeing off Arsene Wenger's side 3-1 in the reverse leg at Camp Nou - with the Dutchman receiving a red card.

Van Persie has had a record-breaking calendar year at the Emirates – equalling Thierry Henry's Arsenal best of 34 goals in Premier League matches.

The 28-year-old told the club's official website: "It's so difficult to pick a personal highlight from the year, but a couple of events stand out, such as beating Barcelona at the Emirates.

"That has become a really nice memory. Everyone who you ask about that game smiles in response.

"I remember the day after that game, an older guy, who was about 75-years-old, came up to me in the village where I live.

"He said to me 'I don't want your autograph, I don't want my photo with you, all I want to say to you is that I have been an Arsenal fan all my life, and last night's game against Barcelona was the best Arsenal game ever.'

"He said it was the best Arsenal evening of his life, and when you can give people something like that, it really is something special."

Arsenal face QPR at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday and Van Persie will need to score a hat-trick to beat Alan Shearer's record of 36 Premier League goals in a calendar year.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario