Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney says he has been given a "new lease of life" under manager David Moyes.

The England international looked set to leave United after falling out with Sir Alex Ferguson, who has since retired.

Ferguson wrote in his new autobiography that Rooney lost his "old thrust" in his final season in charge because he was not fit enough.

"That's the past, I'm looking to the future," said Rooney after the 1-0 win over Real Sociedad.

Wayne Rooney and Man Utd

Appearances: 412

Goals: 202

Old Trafford trivia: Rooney is one of only 25 players to have made 400 appearances for United - and he became the fourth youngest player to reach that milestone in April 2013.

Rooney, who celebrates his 28th birthday on Thursday, was impressive as United overcame the Spanish side on Wednesday to take another step towards the Champions League round of 16.

Sociedad defender Inigo Martinez put the ball into his own net while trying to clear a Rooney effort which had come back off a post.

Rooney, speaking for the first time since the contents of Ferguson's autobiography were revealed, said he had not seen the Scot since he retired at the end of the season.

Moyes has endured an indifferent start since taking over as manager from Ferguson, the former Everton boss winning just three of his first eight Premier League games in charge.

But Rooney says he is enjoying life under his former Goodison Park manager.

"I'm happy under the new manager," he added.

"He's [Ferguson] come back and corrected the story that I put a transfer request in, he's gone back and proven that I didn't.

"I haven't seen him since he retired.

"The new coach that has come in [has given me] a new lease of life. I'm really enjoy working under David Moyes."

United have seven points from three Group A games in the Champions League after victory over Real Sociedad.

Rooney said: "I thought we played some great football. We should have won the game by three, four or five, but I'm happy we got the win, that's most important thing.

"We defended well, a clean sheet is always pleasing. We created a lot of chances and on another day we will take them and win the game more comfortably."

On turning 28, he added: "I do [feel in my prime], I feel good, feel fit."